Quebec nurses call off overtime strike planned for this weekend


Article content

The Fédération interprofessionnelle en soins du Québec (FIQ) has called off a work action planned for this weekend that would have seen nurses refuse to work mandatory overtime.

In a communiqué made public early Friday, FIQ president Nancy Bédard said union delegates had decided to accept an offer from Treasury Board president Sonia LeBel to address the issue of mandatory overtime.

LeBel on Thursday told reporters she wanted to quickly find a means to improve working conditions for nurses. She stressed that she wanted to examine the issues of workloads, making full-time nursing positions more attractive to candidates and mandatory overtime.

Bédard she hoped the minister’s commitments would result in changes soon because the union was losing patience.

LeBel’s comments came hours before FIQ representatives were to appear before the Quebec Labour Board to address the issue of the overtime strike. The union had been summoned after a government negotiation team warned the strike could compromise the level of care offered to the public.

The FIQ has already engaged in two overtime strikes since April of 2019.